Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Schools and Guns

Today as the buses were loading up for dismissal two of my patrols came to report a problem on one of the buses. They informed me that one of the students on the bus was telling that he had a gun. I was pretty sure that the kid was just playing around but I thought better safe that sorry. So I made all the kids get off the bus and I looked through the kids backpacks.  I did not find anything So I talked to the student that had been claiming to have a gun. He admitted that he was just playing around with a rolled up piece of paper. 

I thought "point made" and he and the other students on the bus may think twice about making a threat about having a gun. 

Next I'm sitting at home having dinner and watching the news and a story comes on about a shooting at a school in Colorado   two miles from Columbine High School. That made me catch my breath. I thought about the students at my school then I thought about my niece and nephew who were students at Columbine High School in 1999 when 12 students and one teacher were killed by two gunmen. Fortunately this time only two were shot and suffered only only minor injuries. Have you ever seen minor injuries from a gunshot wound? I have and they are not very minor looking.
Is it just me or has the defense of gun owners rights gone too far?

No comments:

Post a Comment